South America is such a huge continent, with so many countries and things to see and do. How can you choose what best suits you?
Difficulty Level: Easy Time Required: 5 minutes to several hours
- Know yourself.
- Evaluate your physical health and stamina.
- How much do you want to spend? You can go budget to first class plus.
- How much time do you have? Need a weekend getaway or do you have months for travel?
- Can you handle hot, humid climates? If not, forget the Amazon or the rain forests.
- Do you like to cram in as much as you can in one trip? Maybe a guided tour of several countries is right for you.
- Do you like to travel with others? Consider a tour with special interest groups, women-only, spiritual travel, seniors-only.
- Do you like poking about in ruins? You'll find plenty in Peru and on Easter Island.
- Do you like adventure travel? Try trekking and mountaineering in the Andes, scuba, kayaking. Explore the Falkland Islands.
- Do you like the nightlife? Rio de Janeiro, Buenos Aires and other large cities are waiting.
- Do you like soaking up sun on the beach? The white sands along the Caribbean Sea, Punta del Este, Brazilian beaches... oh yes.
- Do you like to ski or climb mountains? The ski resorts of Chile and Argentina are tops. Mt Acongacua beckons.
- Do you want a little bit of everything in one country? Chile and Argentina have multiple climates from desert to Patagonia, sophisticated cities and fabulous scenery.
- Do you like nature in the raw? The Amazon and the rain forests of Peru and Bolivia will make you think you're the first to see the wonders.
- Do you want to see unexplained sights? The Nazca lines in Peru will delight and perplex.
- Schedule your trip for your comfort.
- Take it easy the first few days in a different climate and altitude.
- Take lots of photos and a travel journal.