Take too much or too little or not the right things? Consult these handy tips to make your packing work for you.
Difficulty Level: Easy Time Required: 60 minutes to several days before departure.
- Know your destination. Climates vary.
- Pack for the activities you'll be doing.
- Pack for your comfort.
- Pack clothing you can use in layers.
- Lay out all the clothes you think you'll need. Discard half. Work out combinations to get double and triple use from individual items. Stick to one or two color schemes.
- A bandanna has many uses: scarf, sunblock, sling, handkerchief, washcloth, etc.
- Pack extra prescription medications, or the prescription for filling at local pharmacies.
- Your own towel and sheets make the difference in budget travel.
- Pack underwear you can wash and dry overnight.
- Pack sunblock, insect repellant, hand sanitizers, tissues and toilet paper.
- Comfortable, already broken in shoes are a must. Bring walking shoes, sandals or shower clogs, a pair for dressier occasions, and socks.
- Roll your clothing instead of folding.
- Line your clothing with tissue paper or dry cleaner bags.
- Take maps of your destination(s) with you.
- Pack a foldable suitcase to use for purchases on your return trip.
- Read travelogues from other travelers for an idea what to expect.
- Use the 'Net to research your destinations.