Uruguay reflects European traditions in some of its cuisine, as well as influences from neighboring countries. Like Argentina to the south, Uruguay's parrillas are popular eating places, where meat and seafood are tradtionally prepared and served.
1. Ristorante PaniniAddress: Bacacay 1339, on Sarandi
Italian restaurant with freshly prepared innovative pastas, nice presentation and local wines. Considered the best Italian restaurant in Montevideo.
2. Don PeperoneAddress: Montevideo Shopping Center or Old Town (Cuidad Vieja)
Pasta, pizza, salads, parrilladas, local wines and traditional desserts.
3. El FogonAddress: San José 1080
Traditional parrillada and seafood restaurant, popular for lunch or late night dinners.
4. El CallejónAddress: Cuiduad Vieja
Cozy bar and restaurant suitable for business lunches and a pub at night.
5. Mercado del PuertoAddress: Perez Castellano and Piedras
Once a train station, the building now houses numberous restaurants serving traditional cuisine, parrilladas, steak, chicken, pork, and seafood dishes. Try El Tiburon.
6. Las PicapiedrasAddress: Arocena, Carrasco
Huge portions of food of typical South American cuisine.
7. Las BrasasAddress: San Jose 909
Costilla al lomo (Tbone steak) and excellent seafood are well known on their menu.
8. Restaurant DackelAddress: Dr. Gabriel Otero 6438, Carrasco
German restaurant with tradiional German cuisine.
9. El Abasto ParillaAddress: Bacacay 1309 (near Sarandi)
Busy indoor/outdoor casual spot, good after Teatro Solís performances.
10. ArcadiaAddress: Plaza Independencia 759
"This elegant restaurant atop the Plaza Victoria is a quiet paradise and the best restaurant in Montevideo."